Christianity & Global Conflict
Monday, July 18 — Crisis of Modernity
- Class discussion on “Risen.” Camille Mulcahy
- Review “Evangelization & New Media,” Latin Mass, Sheen, Graham, Osteen”
- “Joy of the Gospel” Chapters 4 & 5, Nicole Shoemaker
- Pope Francis at 9/11 Memorial NYC, Friday, September 25, 2015
- New York 9/11 to Brussels 3/22; the “ground zero” for world conflict. Check out these articles, Paul Vitello, NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/nyregion/08zero.html?_r=0 , and Caroline Alexander, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/opinion/07alexander.html?_r=0http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/opinion/07alexander.html?_r=0
- The Global South — Map https://sites.google.com/site/theglobalsouth/“The Clash of Civilizations,” Samuel Huntington, Bernard Lewis.”Holy Ignorance,” Olivier Roy, Malise Ruthven. “Global South,” Eliza Griswold, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129407295 ; John Allen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4OINQzagg
- Pope Francis, “Laudato Si'” Chapters 1, 2, pages 1-48; “Catholicism & the Challenge of Ecology, CNS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LrIww-06_
- “Does Religion Do More Harm than Good,” with panel including Malise Ruthan at the British Academy (2/16/16). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHv7hqIA8o
- The Global Freedom Network, http://www.globalfreedomnetwork.org
- The Tony Blair Foundation, http://tonyblairfaithfoundation.org
- Solidarity with Southern Sudan, http://www.solidarityssudan.org
- John Allen’s presentation on Christian Persecution today, Notre Dame University/Kroc Center for Peace, http://kroc.nd.edu
- NYT 7/13/16, “Fighting Threatens Peace in South Sudan,
- NYT 7/12/16, “Two French Scholars turn Bitter Rivals.” http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/world/europe/france-radical-islam.html?_r=0
Wednesday, July 20 — Crisis of Ecology
- View Xavier Beauvois’ “Of Gods & Men,” (120 Mins)
- Conversation about “Of Gods & Men.”
- Conversation about Pope Francis, “Joy of the Gospel,” & Chapters 1 & 2 of “Laudato Si'” pages 1-48.
Two Films about Religious Women —
Ida (2014) concerns the news and identity of a dedicated religious sister. The film was directed by Pawel Pawlikowski.
Dead Man Walking (1995) is the story of Sister Helen Prejean and a meditation on the moral concerns about the death penalty and the works of justice & mercy.